What is the Schroth Therapy?
The Schroth technique is a nonsurgical, conservative treatment for scoliosis. It uses exercises customized for each patient to return the curved spine to a more natural position. The goal of Schroth exercises is to reverse all of the abnormal curvatures, elongate the spine in three-dimensional approach by means of individually designed scoliosis exercises. It also helps with restoring muscle symmetry, improving alignment and posture awareness. Schroth exercises are tailored to each person’s unique curvature of the spine. Your physiotherapist will design an exercise program that is specific for you and revise it as you progress so that you reach your optimal goal. The results are exciting!
What is the focus of the Schroth Therapy?
Improve muscle symmetry i.e. strengthen the weak muscles and elongate shortened muscles
- Improve posture and posture awareness i.e. restore normal spinal position with pelvic corections, breathing technique, and stabilizing isometric contractions.
- Improve the rotation of the spine using the rotational breathing techniques (to reshape the ribcage and the surrounding soft tissue and improve lung capacity).
- Improve conscious posture correction during routine daily living and not only during therapy sessions.
- Improve proper alignment of the pelvis. In scoliotic pelvis is often shifted laterally, tilted and rotated. This will affect the position of the spine. The Schroth method first addresses the patient’s pelvis as the foundation of spinal alignment.
How many sessions of Schroth Therapy will I need?
The number of sessions depends mainly on your age, the degree of the spine rotation or the severity of the scoliosis. The length of the program may vary between five and 20 sessions. The program will educate you to become gradually independent in your exercise routine such that you will not need supervision. You might need to see your physiotherapist from time to time for re-assessment and revision of your exercise program. You will learn how to consciously correct the posture of the spine and pelvis during routine daily living. You will learn about your own body and what corrections you need to do to reverse the curvature of your spine and make it a postural habit.
What are the benefits of completing the Schroth program?
The benefits of Schroth technique include: Minimizing the curvature progression, improving pain, improving posture, core strength and stability, improving deformity of the spine and decreasing the spine curvature, improving whole body movement and function.
What else do I need to know?
- You will benefit from Schorth therapy regardless of your age and severity of scoliosis.
- Schroth therapy is a supervised program. Your physiotherapist will educate and guide you in learning progressive exercise programs that are unique to your spinal deformation.
- By completion of Schroth program you are expected to continue exercises at home to maintain and improve the results you gained.
- Props such as Schroth bars, poles, bolsters, therapy balls, and cushions can also be used to assist in performing exercise.
Bahareh specializes in the treatment of chronic pain, muscular and orthopaedic injuries. She received her doctorate degree in Rehabilitation Sciences from the University of British Columbia and her Baccalaureate and Master’s degrees in Physiotherapy.